"Good order is the foundation of all things." Edmund Burke

Laundry Room Transformation - From Tight to Bright!

I am yet to meet a person who really enjoys doing laundry! I certainly do notI am such perfectionist, that folding or even hanging takes time! And that is exactly why it is so hard for me to get someone to do it for me. Finding a wrinkly shirt n my drawer, drives me crazy! I know it either sat for too long in the drier or wasn't smoothed or folded with love! The problem is: I would rather do something else with all that time spent in te laundry room! To top that I work with a laundry room that is too small, impractical and uninspiring! There was no system implemented. Only a builders type shallow shelf, too high, too narrow with a hanging bar laid in the back wall. The shape of the room is also a contributor to the problem. I always dreamed of  fixing the issue and I always knew how to do it. What kept me from just doing it, was the love for my washer/dryer and I knew I would need to get rid of them...But it is impossible to make that room look good! Or it was.

No matter how hard I tried, this is what it looked like on laundry day! Things stored on the floor, so the house cleaner could get it (she's quite short), and no room for more. Notice that visible storage is bothersome to the eyes even if organized! As you can, in order to add counter space, we had a table (notice the table sticking out from the door) on the angled wall temporarily. Nine years ago! 



The door could not be fully open because aprons, brooms and mops lived behind it! Perfectly organized but I knew e that is the door could be open all the way, the space would feel bigger, specially from the entrance.

 

When my 16 year old dryer failed in November, I did not look back! I pulled my sleaves up, got my measuring tape, paper and pen and started designing a complete (low budget) renovation. I didn't want to spend too much, but I envisioned my laundry room as a  spacious, functional and attractive room! Using Ikea's designing tool I planned my room and went shopping! My machines were upgraded to the humungous ones you see, and still the space feels much bigger! I assembled all the cabinets myself, installed knobs, removed hooks and fixed wall holes. (Wait until you see the inside of the cabinets!) My husband removed the shelf, fixed the wall, hung the cabinets and did all the trims. With my direction, of course! ;) There will be a granite countertop above the machines and the floor cabinets on the side wall. I will post once we have it installed. It will be the finishing touch! Even incomplete, look at the transformation!


BEFORE & AFTER
from the same point of view!

Placing horizontal cabinets very low, give an easy access to
hidden supplies with a clean look!



Removed 24" deep table and installed 12" deep cabinets.
Using the hight of the wall I can now store a lot more!


Since the table was deeper, it blocked our view from the door.
Now, even on laundry day, it looks better!


Behind the scenes never looked this good!


Giving the items behind the door a home,
allows the door and our view to open!


Where are the brooms and mops, then?


One of the main factors professional organizers consider for any project is where in the room are items used.
Drying sheets were not stored in the drawer closest to the drier, but in the one that can be open while the door of the drier is open too!


By screwing ceiling hooks (Home Depot, less then a buck each!)
on the $2.50 top shelf, prevented the cabinet wall from damage,
in case I find a new function for this cabinet in the future!
Fridge art clips, keep the mop base at reach while 2 cork placemats glued together make it for a perfectly sized bulletin board! (Ikea, $3.99 for 4)


Two 39" tall cabinets now provide plenty of room for storage of bulk or rarely used items that were in the pantry, freeing space there too!


 A trash bin inside the cabinet on the left side, makes for a great hidden laundry basket for used kitchen linens, easy to access coming from the kitchen.
While heavy bulk cleaning products stay low for easy retrieval!


So, what is my favorite part of the make-over?
I must say my Hanger Hamper! I LOVE IT!
I wish I had seen this in the cream, but I might give mine to my mom and get the light one to blend more with my room!
It makes laundry days so convenient!




Now, what my friends say when they see my laundry room?
"OMG! What is this smell???" It is true!!
It's the "Diva" soap and drier sachet I use, manufactured by Tyler Candles, made in Texas!!!
It is expensive, I know, but you won't regret!
I also carry the Diva spray on my work bag to spritz at the end of each project!

     


"The details are not the details.
They make the design."
Charles Eames





Now, let me run, I have some clothes to wash!

All copyright Bloom Your Space Organizing ® 2014