"Good order is the foundation of all things." Edmund Burke

Harvesting Herbs at The End of January - Thankful for Texas' Weather!



In this house herbs go on everything! Just to name a few... eggs get some garlic and dry oregano everyday (known for its potent antioxidants and anti-bacterial properties), fish is never done without rosemary (prevent brain aging)  and chicken always get the sage (natural anti inflammatory)! Even my morning coffee gets a splash of cinnamon! Nutmeg goes on so many dishes, but I like it freshly grounded with my tiny grinder bellow! Yum! (Find the health benefits of these herbs by clicking on their links)

I am not sure how much of a role herbs have to do with it, but the fact is, we have been either extremely lucky or really healthy, because it has been a couple years we had a cold, and it had been a couple more before that. Even when it seemed like everyone around us was sick! I think that's amazing considering the our children are 7 and 9, and the fact that my husband travels on airplanes every month at least once. My daughter had one stomach bug when she was months old and my son has never got one stronger than him! I had one many years ago... even when my children play closely with infected children they seem immune to it!


And as everyone knows, pesticides are simply not desirable by anyone health conscious, so buying organic is always preferable. Unless, like me, you grow most of your own herbs! Herbs are usually fairly easy to grow and in some cases even hard to control! Last year I had 10 different kinds of mint and boy, they grew!! I have had herbs indoors when I lived in north Georgia, but here is south Texas this is not necessary. Some of my perennials have been with me for over 15 years! They simply thrive in this weather! And I only buy very few plants as annuals because I always let mine bloom and seed before the cold arrives. Before trimming them down or removing them, I spread the seeds and cover with mulch and voilĂ ! Next year I have new plants, straight from the ground! The flowers bellow are from my garlic chives, which I was told was an annual when I bought it some ten years ago. It still blooms for me every year!


Thanks to a rainy endless month of December and an unusually warm pleasant January in Texas, my herbs have done better than ever! So my perennials think it is spring (and so does my allergies) and I just had to trim them down again, to control over growth! Look at the pictures bellow? Can you imagine the smell? I tell you, it is lovely... Chop some sage and sautĂ© in ghee, pour over baked sweet potato or butternut squash! 



Whenever I trim my herbs, I hang some to let them dry. I close my blinds tops for a couple of weeks and once they are crisp, I store them is reused glass jars to use them whole or grounded. I guess they are a reminder that happiness lies in simple little things... like sprinkles of aromatic herbs!



Photos by Daniela Cohen, all rights reserved.

All copyright Bloom Your Space Organizing © 2014-2015